Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I almost cried today. I was absolutely amazed by the ability of one man, whom I have never met, and never will meet, to inspire me. I worked out harder at the gym. I did an extra twenty minutes of work before going home. I'm going to bed at a decent hour. I want to do better, to be at my best, so that I can meet the challenges set forth by our president. I'd forgotten, after eight years of torpid intellectual languor and myopically self-serving cultural prejudice, what a leader looks like, and to be reminded gives me hope -- a word that has been bandied about for months, tossed around until it became a catch phrase more than an idea, but today it was redeemed and its power to inspire and heal restored. For the first time in years, I want to say, to pronounce, to declare with a voice stentorian that I am an American.

1 comment:

tangobaby said...

This whole day still feels a little unreal to me, and I don't think the enormity has really sunken in yet, but I agree with you entirely.

I told a friend today that for the first time in my entire life, I feel like I have my first real president. And that there's a hope in hell that we just might be the nation we say we are. Because I do believe in us. I just got so tired along the way.